Enjoy all of our Top Ten suggestions. Top 10 Things to do on a Rainy Day, Top 10 Activities to do with Children.
Top Ten `Must Do` Activities with Children on Kauai
|Wondering what our favorite Keiki activities are on Kauai? Wonder no longer. This is a top 10 however, in no particular order. Surfing might be tops on the list for your nine-year-old and Baby Beach might be the best for your toddler. No matter, the age, all of the following activities are sure to bring a smile to all:
10. Kokee State Park is a must see for everyone on their Kauai vacation. Amazing vistas at various lookouts over Waimea Canyon and the Kalalau Valley. Visit the Kokee Museum for a little history, plan a hike, and end your day with a picnic on the lush grounds or try camping!
9. Luaus are a fun way for the entire family to get into the Hawaiian spirit. Learn a little bit about the Polynesian culture, try some delicious food, and watch traditional dancing, maybe even a fire dance if you are lucky!
8. Farm Tours are the perfect way to see how our local foods and beverages are made. Visit the largest coffee plantation in the US, see how cacao is made into chocolate, or see a working farm.
7. Surf Lesson at the beach. For the adventurous child who loves the water, take in a surf lesson and learn to have fun as the locals do.
6. Farmer`s Markets offer more than just produce. Many have flowers and local crafts, sample some of the exotic fruits and refresh with an ice-cold coconut.
5. Na Aina Kai Botanical Gardens offers a family tour that takes you through a full-sized hedge maze, feed koi in the lagoon, explore the rubber treehouse, and more.
4. Kapaa Bike Path (Ke Ala Hele Makalae) has 7 miles of multi us path. Rent a bike and take the keiki for a ride or just stroll along the coast, grab a bite from a food truck on the path, and make a picnic in one of the many rest spots or on the beach.
3. Kamalani Playground has swings, bridges, slides, mazes, and hidden passageways. It is sure to delight keiki of many ages. Lydgate Park is next door which offers another play area as well as Lydgate Beach. Fun for the entire family.
2. Beaches are a family favorite for locals and tourists. There is something for everyone at the beach whether you are shell hunting, snorkeling, surfing or just relaxing in the sun. There are various baby beaches scattered around Kauai. If you hear someone say baby beach that usually means a smaller beach that is more secluded from the larger ocean waves and will have smaller tidepools for exploring.
1. Shave Ice is a popular treat for cooling off after a day of play. Similar to a snow cone, however, the ice is shaved flat for a snow-like consistency. A must-have at least once while you are on the island.
|Kids are welcome in bars in Hawaii as long as the food is served.
Dining with the entire family makes vacation memories that last a lifetime. Of course, the food trucks and plate lunches all offer great options for children, but sometimes you want to go out for a special meal where everyone is happy and children are catered to. Here are some of our favorites:
Keoki`s Paradise in Poipu: Great kids` menu without all the fried stuff. Fun atmosphere in both the bamboo bar and dining room. Great Happy Hour for the adults and kids is welcome at all hours. Live music some nights.
Duke`s Barefoot Bar and Restaurant in Lihue: Same ownership as Keokis so you will find the same experience although the menus are different. Try the hula pie; you only need one for the table. They are HUGE.
Dolphin Restaurant Hanalei & Poipu: A nice setting and kids can play on the grass while you are relaxing at either location. Nice kids` menu with some non-fried items, which kids enjoy after traveling for a bit.
Eating House 1849 Poipu: While this is Roy`s restaurant it is much more casual compared to the other Roy`s in Hawaii. The children`s menu is good with options that are not just fried such as the saimin. Kids get a quesadilla to start and ice cream to finish. For adults the menu is fun; enjoy a whole grilled snapper or Roy`s Fried Chicken.
The Grand Hyatt in Poipu: Every restaurant at the Hyatt caters to kids. The menus are great and include starters, entrees, and desserts. Kids receive a little toy and crayons. The servers ask their name and really make sure they have fun. For fine dining with kids, we like to go to Tidepools so the kids can view the koi pond.
Hanalei Gourmet: Typical kids` menu with food kids like. More casual atmosphere and fun shopping before or after your meal. Do not miss Taco Thursdays!
Brick Oven Pizza in Wailua and Kalaheo: Great family atmosphere and good pizza.
They give the kids a little bit of dough to play with while you are waiting for your steaming hot pizza. Buffets on Mondays and Thursdays.
Verde in Kapaa: Good food and great for a little bit more casual dining with full service. Kids will love the quesadillas, nachos, and tacos.
Luaus: If you have not been to a luau this is a great way to experience Hawaiian food, watch a show, and be entertained all at the same time. It is a great family event and the kids have a blast and can usually go on stage and dance if they are not too shy!
Top Ten Things to do on a Rainy Day
|1. Take an ATV ride. It is much more fun in the mud and they provide all of the protective gear.
2. Visit the Kauai Museum.
3. Be Challenged in the Escape Room.
4. Taste some Koloa Rum at Kilohana and have lunch at Gaylord`s.
5. Treat yourself to a spa day.
6. Take in a matinee at the Historic Waimea Theater.
7. Go bowling.
8. Take out some books and movies at the State Library.
9. Hang out at The Grand Hyatt, go to the spa, have lunch watch the hula show at sunset, or enjoy sushi at Stevenson`s Library.
10. Shop for souvenirs at Kukui Grove.
Go west, it might be sunny on the west side of the island.
10 Most Unique Things about Kauai
|1. Na Pali Coast: Kauai`s Na Pali Coast is a breathtaking sight, with towering sea cliffs that drop down into the Pacific Ocean. It`s known for its stunning hiking and views, as well as being a popular location for movies and TV shows like Jurassic Park and King Kong.
2. Waimea Canyon: Also known as the "Grand Canyon of the Pacific," Waimea Canyon is a must-see destination on Kauai. It`s a dramatic 10-mile-long canyon with red and brown rock formations and waterfalls.
3. Spouting Horn: Located on Kauai`s south shore, Spouting Horn is a natural blowhole created by ocean waves. When the waves crash into the opening, it creates a spout of water that can reach up to 50 feet in the air.
4. Polihale Beach: Known as one of the most secluded and beautiful beaches on Kauai, Polihale Beach is a 17-mile stretch of white sand and turquoise waters. It`s also home to Hawaii`s longest beach and a popular spot for camping.
5. Hanapepe Town: This charmingly historic town is known for its art galleries and boutiques, as well as its role as a filming location for Disney`s Lilo and Stitch. It is also home to the Hanapepe Swinging Bridge.
6. Kalalau Trail: The Kalalau Trail is a challenging 11-mile hike along the Na Pali Coast. It`s known for its stunning views and challenging terrain, which includes exposed cliffs and steep drop-offs.
7. Wailua Falls: This famous waterfall was featured in the opening credits of the TV show Fantasy Island. Visitors can view the falls from a lookout point, or hike down to the base for a closer look.
8. Kilauea Lighthouse: Located on Kauai`s north shore, the Kilauea Lighthouse is a historic beacon that dates back to 1913. It`s listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a popular spot for whale watching.
9. Limahuli Garden and Preserve: This botanical garden is located on Kauai`s north shore and features a wide variety of native Hawaiian plant species. It`s also home to an ancient Hawaiian agricultural terrace system, known as a lo`i kalo.
10. Hanalei Bay: Known for its charming town and postcard-perfect crescent beach, Hanalei Bay is one of the most popular destinations on Kauai. Visitors can enjoy surfing, swimming, and beachcombing at this stunning location.
Ten Best Restaurants for Foodies on Kauai
|Kauai is a food lover`s paradise, with a plethora of restaurants offering a variety of cuisines. Here are 10 of the best restaurants on Kauai, each of which offers its own unique culinary experience:
1. The Beach House Restaurant - This oceanfront restaurant in Poipu offers stunning views of the coastline and delicious Pacific Rim cuisine. Their signature dish is the Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi, served with lobster cream sauce and crispy yucca.
2. Kauai Grill - Located in Princeville, this elegant restaurant offers contemporary American cuisine with a Hawaiian twist. Don`t miss their Grilled Octopus, served with black olive tapenade and sun-dried tomato relish.
3. Bar Acuda - This cozy tapas restaurant in Hanalei offers a vibrant atmosphere and unique small plates. The standout dish here is the Shrimp & Chorizo, cooked with garlic and paprika and served on a bed of white beans.
4. Merriman`s - This farm-to-table restaurant in Poipu offers fresh, locally-sourced cuisine with an emphasis on sustainability. Their Grilled Beef Tenderloin, served with lemongrass butter and black garlic puree, is a must-try
.5. JO2 Natural Cuisine - This restaurant in Kapaa offers a farm-to-table dining experience with globally-inspired dishes. One standout dish is the Curry Up Duck, which features crispy duck breast in a curry sauce with sweet potato, kale, and rice.
6. Eating House 1849 - This trendy restaurant in Poipu is helmed by celebrity chef Roy Yamaguchi and offers Hawaiian-inspired dishes with a modern twist. Try their signature Poke Tacos, made with fresh ahi poke and crispy wonton shells.
7. The Dolphin Restaurant - This seafood restaurant in Hanalei offers a variety of fresh, locally-caught fish dishes. Don`t miss their Grilled Opah with Lilikoi Butter, served with coconut jasmine rice and mixed greens.
8. Red Salt - This oceanview restaurant in Poipu offers an upscale dining experience featuring fresh, locally-sourced ingredients. The standout dish here is the Lobster Risotto, made with Kauai prawns, roasted garlic, and parmesan.
9. Oasis on the Beach - This beachfront restaurant in Kapaa offers a relaxed atmosphere and delicious Pacific Rim cuisine. Try their Lemongrass Beef Skewers, served with ginger scallion sauce and coconut rice.
10. La Spezia - This Italian restaurant in Koloa offers homemade pasta and classic Italian dishes. Standout dishes include the Tagliatelle alla Bolognese, made with slow-braised beef, veal, and pork ragu, and the Burrata with Prosciutto served with roasted tomatoes and basil.
Each of these restaurants is within an hour`s drive from Poipu, making them easily accessible no matter where you are on the island.