Find out what events are on during your stay, and learn about art nights, bon dances, theater, rodeos, and a variety of entertainment in Poipu and on Kauai. You will have the opportunity to live like a local and experience Kauai in yet another way.
Seventeen people attended the first E Kanikapila Kakou (Let`s Strike Up the Music), held the evening after Christmas in 1983.
Since then, it has grown to become Kauai`s premier celebration of Hawaiian music, hula, oral history, and storytelling.
Held on Monday evenings from mid-January through March each year, the event features a talk story/sing-along format and performances by stars in the local music industry.
Past headliners include Kealii Reichel, Jerry Santos, Willy K, Cyril Pahinui, Robert Cazimero, Eddie Kamae, Brother Noland, Jeff Peterson, and Raiatea Helm.
In addition to learning one or two songs from the artists, including the translations and correct pronunciations of Hawaiian lyrics, the audience is encouraged to share personal stories and ask about the song`s background, including what inspired them and if there is any history or kaona (hidden meanings) behind them.
Occasionally, attendees rise from their seats to dance to their favorite songs or are invited on stage to sing and play music with the artists.
Like backyard jam sessions, interaction and spontaneity are a big part of the experience.
Hawaiian Airlines Magazine
Location: Kauai Beach Resort
This year is the 46th annual event which takes place every February and celebrates Captain Cook`s arrival to the islands. The Waimea Tow Celebration is Kauai`s largest and longest-running festival held in the plantation town of Waimea. For nine days the town is filled with a multitude of concerts, sporting events ranging from a canoe race to a marathon, and cultural events. On the edge of town, you`ll even find a carnival complete with Hawaiian food and fun. Other activities include ice cream eating, lei, and ukulele contests. Most events are free to spectators.
This year there are three events at the Waimea Theater. On February 18, spend the evening of cocktails and cuisine with this year`s theme, Mardi Gras. On February 19 there is a cultural presentation of songs and dance honoring King Kaumualii. On the 20th, the Historic Waimea Theater hosts the Waimea Film Festival. Wednesday, February 22 is Tales & Treats, a play that follows a multi-generational family of salt farmers, and on February 23 is a music concert.
Location: Waimea, 19 miles from Poipu
The diversity in landscape and breathtaking beauty of Kauai has made it the perfect backdrop for a movie location. Kauai has been used to imitate Central America, Asia, and even Avatar`s mythical planet.
Here`s a list of Kauai`s popular blockbusters:
* The Jurassic series Jurassic Park I, Jurassic Park – The Lost World, Jurassic Park III, Jurassic World
* Pirates of the Caribbean – On Stranger Tides
* The Descendants
* Disney`s Lilo & Stitch
* Soul Surfer
* Tropic Thunder
* Six Days and Seven Nights
* Mighty Joe Young
* Honeymoon in Vegas
* Raiders of the Lost Arc
* King Kong
* Blue Hawaii
* South Pacific
Location: Waimea, 19 miles from Poipu
The Kauai Community Players (KCP) and the Puhi Theatrical Warehouse are two of the most iconic cultural institutions on the island of Kauai, Hawaii. They have been a vital part of the island`s theater KCP has been putting on plays and musicals on Kauai since 1962. The theater group includes a wide range of talent, from local actors and musicians to directors and designers. The group has entertained countless audiences with a diverse array of productions, ranging from classic plays to modern musicals.
The Puhi Theatrical Warehouse, where KCP performs, is a renovated warehouse that has been transformed into a state-of-the-art theater. It features a 200-seat auditorium, a lighting and sound room, costume and prop storage, and even a green room for the performers. Together, KCP and the Puhi Theatrical Warehouse offer a unique opportunity for both locals and visitors to experience live theater on the island. The productions range in genre and style, from comedies to dramas to musicals, ensuring there is something for everyone to enjoy.
The Kauai Community Players also offer educational programs for the community, including theater workshops for children and acting classes for adults. These programs provide opportunities for individuals to learn more about the performing arts and improve their skills. If you`re planning to visit Kauai and are interested in experiencing live theater, be sure to check out the Kauai Community Players and the Puhi Theatrical Warehouse.
Tickets for performances can be purchased online or at the box office. Lastly, it`s recommended to purchase tickets in advance, as performances can sell out quickly. Don`t miss the chance to experience the unique and lively culture of Kauai through the art of live theater with KCP and the Puhi Theatrical Warehouse.
Location: Puhi (14 miles from Poipu)
Kauai is known for its beautiful natural scenery, but when the sun goes down, there are still plenty of exciting things to do. Some of Kauai`s bars offer live entertainment on a regular basis, from hula shows to live music. Here are some of the best bars on Kauai to visit if you`re looking for a fun night out with live entertainment:
1. Tahiti Nui: This iconic bar in Hanalei has been around for over 50 years and is known for its lively atmosphere and live music. The bar features a stage that hosts local musicians, making it a great spot to enjoy some island-style tunes with a fun crowd. They have live music almost every night of the week, with a variety of genres from Reggae to Rock.
2. Duke’s Kauai: This beachfront bar and restaurant, located in Lihue, is a great spot to grab a drink and enjoy live music on select evenings. They offer daily live music from 4 pm to 6 pm at the Barefoot bar, where you can enjoy some Hawaiian music and hula dancers with a beautiful view of Kalapaki Beach.
3. Kalapaki Joe’s: This sports bar is located in Lihue and offers live music on select nights of the week. They have a huge selection of beers, along with delicious pub fare and a great atmosphere that makes it a favorite among locals and visitors alike.
4. Trees Lounge: Located in Kapaa, Trees Lounge is a fun place to hang out with friends and listen to some live music. They have a varied schedule of events, including local live music acts and karaoke nights. There is always a lively crowd here, making it a great spot to meet new people and have some fun.
5. Rob’s Good Times Grill: Located in Lihue, this bar is a favorite among locals for its live music and karaoke nights. They have daily live music starting at 6 pm, along with karaoke on select nights. The bar has a fun, casual atmosphere, making it a great spot for a night out with friends. In conclusion, if you’re looking for live entertainment on Kauai, these bars are some of the best places to go. The lively atmosphere and talented performers make for a fun night out that you won`t soon forget.